Sunday, 18 May 2014

Scrap365 - June sketch Challenge - Home is where thou art

Good evening bloggers!

I am whizzing by with this blog post and my latest creation for the June sketch challenge over at Scrap365 magazine and blog. scrap365.blogspot.co.uk

Phew, this last week has flown by! I have had a very busy week. I had my "Cakes by Helen" hat on during the week and did lots of gluten free baking for island businesses. I also found time to indulge in my latest crafty craze of upcycling food cans and candle making!  I have been upcycling food cans by decorating them and making them into candles and plant pots and pen holders, etc. This particular pastime is still very much in the experimental stage!!! Why not take a look at my new Facebook page "Tin Can Alley".  I also created some cards for June birthdays (I always try and keep one step ahead)!

We hit the mainland yesterday for the 50th birthday party of a very special friend and now we are back on the island enjoying the lovely sunshine for the rest of the day.

Our current favourite pastime is watching the birds in our garden. We have a Swallows nest (turns out, they aren't House Martins after all!), a Blue Tits nest and a Coal Tits nest. They really are fascinating. The swallows still seem to be nest building, the blue tits seem to have laid their brood and the coal tits have hatched.

This layout is about the nest in the eaves of our house. Originally, we thought they were Blue Tits, but on closer inspection, they are Coal Tits. I am very good at getting it wrong when it comes to bird identification! Thanks heavens for our RSPB membership and RSPB garden bird book to put me straight!!

The 12x12 background sheet is Dear Lizzy by American Crafts. I have been getting an awful lot of use out of this set since starting to follow sketch challenges. The music sheet reminds me of birdsong and the pastel colour is divine! The square scalloped notelets, blue tits nest box papers and alphabet stickers are all Papermania Home to Nest. A stunning collection.

The grand adhesion stickers are Bird Sanctuary by K&Co. I have used WRMK photo corners. The patterned strips of paper were all from my stash and mostly came free with magazines.

I have inked edges in green, the journalling was created using a green star Gelly Roll pen.  The metal charm came from a craft fair. I have used Rangers black enamel on the black entrance hole of the birds nest grand adhesion. I have, of course, used by trusty date stamp. The star and heart gems came from my stash and the stripe ribbon is Papermania Little Cake Shoppe. The twine is recycled. All the elements of this layout were created using items already in my stash!

I hope everyone has a good week. I shall, no doubt, be baking again ahead of the bank holiday weekend. I shall, of course, be papercrafting, too. A rock n roll dance is scheduled for next weekend as well as an outdoor antique fair, the obligatory bank holiday BBQ, and some lovely walks with the pooches!

Ooh, a pesky Woodpecker has his eye on our blue tits nest and a Jay is drinking from the water bowl! The red squirrels are scurrying about (no greys on the Isle of Wight) and the bats will be out soon! Time for me to fly!!

Helen xxx


5 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so happy you took a part again! Love your style!
    Thank you for playing along with us at Scrap365 <3 !

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic work! love the background paper! thank you for playing along with us at scrap 365!
    hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I adore how you've got lots of little birds on your page but because they are all different kind of embellies they are not overwhelming! Thanks so much for joining in the Scarp 365 Sketch Challenge! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helen, your garden sounds like bird heaven! We have been enjoying watching dragonfly nymph hatch into dragonflies from our little pond this week! Amazing to watch in real life although we have a very depleted stock of tadpoles! I will of course be scrapping the process! Lovely to come and see UK crafters for a change too and your page is super cute. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice project! Thank you for joining the sketch challenge in Scrap365!!

    ReplyDelete